Are you planning to start or expand a business in the clothing industry? It can be a very bumpy ride for the unprepared, but if you’re willing to weather the challenges it can be very rewarding.
In this article we’ll address one of these challenges: your supply.
There are many moving parts here, so let’s break them down one by one.
Where to Start Your Search?
The first place to start looking is perhaps the most obvious – the internet.
Gathering information starts online. You can check any of the following places:
- Online business directories.
- Social media, for example industry Facebook groups.
- Online community groups.
- Traditional internet forums.
- Google Business search.
No matter what your inquiry might be, generally you’ll find that someone has asked the question before. It pays to be smart when scouring the internet for information – even if you’re doing so simply to identify the right questions to ask manufacturers. When you start to build contacts in the industry, knowing the right questions to ask or consider can help you avoid pitfalls further down the road.
A great way to find good manufacturing partners and start that process of building contacts is to attend trade shows or similar events where you can get to know potential candidates face-to-face. Trade shows are also a great way to quickly see and test sample products and you will have a chance to meet key figures in the industry at the local or international level.
Contract vs. Private-Label Clothing Manufacturers
Another important decision that you need to make while searching for the right clothing manufacturer for your business is whether to choose a private-label manufacturer or a contract manufacturer.
Private-label manufacturers are companies that have a catalog of their own clothing designs and garments on which you can choose to have your logo and branding printed – think a white label approach for the clothing industry.
The advantage of private-label manufacturers is that you can get clothes to the shelves quicker and you don’t have to wrack your brains developing unique pattern designs. You also have access to the manufacturer’s data on which trends are currently in fashion, helping you react quickly to market shifts.
If the basis of your brand is in the unique design of your garments then you’ll want to speak to a contract manufacturer – this is simply a manufacturing partner that will take a design specification from you and make it to order. This is of course ideal if you’re concerned about developing a bespoke design, but due to the custom nature you’ll have to deal with longer manufacturing lead times.
The Perfect Clothing Manufacturer
In order to identify an ideal clothing manufacturer to work with, you’ll have to consider several key points:
- Quality of Work – Naturally, you must choose a clothing manufacturer that can provide you with high-quality products. It’s important to remember that even the slightest loose thread or mismatched stitch on a garment can and will affect your customers’ shopping experience.
- Production Cost – Go for a manufacturer who can provide value for money. Remember that cheap isn’t always good and you get what you pay for. It’s good to look for low-cost suppliers but not at the cost of product quality.
- Shipping Cost – Take into account the shipping expense and the lead time of your orders. See if the manufacturer you choose can provide discounts at volume or other cost-effective benefits.
- Field Experience – A clothing manufacturer that has years of experience and a long list of satisfied clients is naturally an ideal choice. This is not to say that you cannot give new manufacturers a chance, but you have to delve deeper and make sure the company you choose is reliable to mitigate the risks.
- Fulfillment Guarantees – What happens if something goes wrong with the logistics of a shipment or an order is misprinted? Check to see how a manufacturer will handle this and see if they can provide some sort of guarantee or insurance for you.
- Social Integrity – People around the world are now becoming more concerned about working conditions within clothing factories. Fashion companies that do not take this social issue seriously often face backlash, so to protect not just your brand but the people involved in your manufacturing aim to work with a factory that treats its employees fairly.
How to Find a Clothing Manufacturer in Mexico
If you are planning to open a fashion business and are in need of a clothing manufacturer in Mexico, Zipfox can help you get in touch with bulk suppliers that will meet your needs. Have the world’s best factories at your fingertips!
While it’s important to carry out thorough market research before taking the plunge, we work tirelessly to help smooth out that process. From hand-picked factories to a step-by-step ordering process, we want to help foster your business by being there every step of the way for support.
Doing business in the fashion industry is no walk in the park, but the most challenging fields are often the most rewarding. Finding the right clothing manufacturer to help your business thrive today with Zipfox.